[mythtv-users] Troubles controlling multiple cable boxes

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 10 13:03:48 UTC 2006

On Apr 10, 2006, at 6:54 AM, obscure information. wrote:

> On 4/9/06, Kichigai Mentat <kichigai at comcast.net> wrote:
>

> Doesn't Linux identify serial ports as /dev/stty#? I'd check that out
> myself, but that's kind of hard with an iBook (no serial ports to
> test!).
>
> Also, can't you try to off-set the problem by using the IR port on
> your PVR-150? Or did you get one without the IR port?
>

> Yes, and there are four listed: /dev/stty1-4.  By my understanding
> from a serial port howto I found online, Linux automatically tries
> to configure the first four serial ports, but I could be mistaken.
>
> The issue is that I am unable to locate the base address and IRQ in
> use for the serial ports to properly configure lirc, and using the
> defaults results in an irexec error.
>

> As far as the IR port on the PVR-150, I am already using that for
> my remote control input, so I'm stuck there.

The newer PVR-150s come with an IR receiver and an IR blaster, I
think the reference above was to using the "blaster" not the
receiver. I think they added an additional conductor to the mini
connector, and I've seen patched LIRCs that can use that blaster.

I am also a bit confused as to why you need a separate serial port
for each STB ? In the case of satellite receivers you can set the
receiver to use one of several code sets to prevent interference if
you have more than one receiver, thus you can use a single IR
transmitter to control several receivers.

Have you checked to see if your cable boxes have this capability? I'd
think that they would have made some provision for multiple boxes,
the cable companies certainly wouldn't want to preclude your paying
for more than one box :-)