[mythtv-users] MythVideo/xine problems

Warren warren-lists at icruise.com
Mon Apr 10 17:50:10 UTC 2006

Captain Krypto wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I had xine successfully working in MythVideo, but now it stopped
> working.  When I try to launch a movie through MythVideo I get the
> xine splash screen and the following output in the mythfrontend log:
>
> sh: line 1: <path to avi file>: Permission denied
>
> I am using the command "xine -pfhq --no-splash %s" in the set up
> section.  If I use that same command from the command line, everything
> works as expected.  ( i.e. xine launches with the arguments and play
> the video)  I've tried numerous videos and all have the same result.
> I haven't made any updates to the system since it was working and I
> know that the working setup had survived a few reboots.  I am using a
> PVR-350 for TV out, but since I can see the xine splash screen, it
> doesn't look like that figures into the equation and since I get the
> same behavior when launching mythfront from the command line on my
> desktop.  I was hoping that someone had run into this problems before,
> or could give me some pointers to troubleshoot it further.  Also, how
> does mythvideo handle external video players?  It looks like from the
> error, that xine is launched through mythvideo via some sort of shell
> script... is that correct?  Any input it appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Sounds like the file is owned by whomever you are logged in as when you
are running from the command line but not the user that mythvideo is
running as and that myth user does not have read permission to the
file.  Try "chmod 644 <path to .avi file>" without the quotes.  That
should allow any user on the system to view the file.