[mythtv-users] OT? Hardware Differences

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 13 19:06:48 UTC 2006

On Thursday 13 April 2006 19:32, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> For whatever reason, I cannot find an ntpclient which will actually
> install and work. What are you using?

What's wrong with setting it up under YaST? (Network Services -> NTP Client)
Admittedly I haven't got that currently configured on my main machine, which
does tend to drift. Never had it drift 17 years though ;-)

I have a htpc which has dvb cards, so I tend to just use the dvbdat command to
sync that one.

I've just used the YaST one and it works fine. The only wrinkle is that you
should have a permanent connection apparently, which probably isn't always
the case with a laptop. There are commandline tools that come with the xntp
package that allow you to run a command to sync. It would be fairly simple to
put together a little script to check for reachable ntp server, then run that
sync command.

> > Could you please correct this, or my OCD (obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
> > is going to start kicking in!
>
> Please check the foregoing header.

Ahhhhh... Thank goodness. I was about to start testing all the light switches
50 times.
--
Steve Boddy