[mythtv-users] freeze while seeking

Pavol Droba droba at topmail.sk
Thu Apr 13 20:10:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 02:57:08PM -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> Pavol Droba wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem with mythtv and I wonder if somebody have experienced something similar.
> >
> > I have VIA EPIA SP13000 system runnig epios (gentoo based distro for via boards)
> > with latest updates. This means mythtv 0.19 and openchrome driver (snapshot from 2006-03-06).
> >
> > Mythtv is configured to use via xvmc. Everything works smoothly, except of one problem.
> > Occasionally when seeking the recorded shows with FF or Rewind buttons, graphical system freezes.
> >
> > Somethimes I'm able to switch to a text console, but it is not always the case. If I remotely
> > kill whole X system, it restars ok, but any attempt to play a video using xvmc, gives instantly
> > another freeze. This time it just shows a green screen and doesn't allow to switch to text console.
> > So I have to reboot the mashine remotely.
> >
> > I'm not sure if the problem resides in mythtv or in openchrome or somewhere else. So far I have
> > encountered it only when using mythtv. I haven't seen anything unusual in logs.
>
> I have the same hardware now running Fedora Core 5 with the openchrome
> driver (washington.kelkoo.net/epia/FC5/rpms).
>
> I have experienced this problem as well, but only when rapidly moving
> backwards and forwards in a recording. I have not tested it but it seems
> that ff and rewind are much more fragile in recordings which have NOT
> been commflagged and sometimes they do not work on such files.
>
> Generally ff/rwd even up to 20x works fine, but multiple back and forth
> attempts will lock up the frontend. I have heard the backend continuing
> to record the scheduled program on a couple of ocassions, and I have
> just done nothing until that program ended and the recording was fine.,
> but it took a 'big-red-switch' recovery.
>
> I suspect that this is actually an X system error, probably somewhere in
> the openchrome driver. Since it only rarely allows any recovery I have
> not seen error messages very often but I have seen some 'texture' or
> 'surface' references in error output.
>
> I will have to set up the laptop to ssh in and see if I can induce some
> crashes...

As I have mentioned, only graphical system goes down on the crash. I was always able to
log in remotely. Backend is working fine. However, scanning through logs I have not
find anything that mentioned a problem.

The only thing that might be slightly related are following lines from the Xorg.0.log

Fulfilled via DRI at 27316064
Freed 0 (pool 0)
Fulfilled via DRI at 27740032
viaWaitVideoCommandFire: Timeout.

These are the last lines in the log after the freeze.

Regards,
Pavol