[mythtv-users] how does EITScanner work?

Matthew Geier matthew at sleeper.apana.org.au
Fri Apr 14 01:02:32 UTC 2006

Paul Wilson wrote:
> Can some explain how the DVB EIT scanner works?

  From watching my backend log - when the system is idle, it tunes to
each channel in turn and listens.

> ie does it scan all channels or just when a recording is started on a
> single channel?

  If you are watching or recording it can no longer scan and only gets
the current station's EPG.

> I did see a dvb-grabber script somewhere, is that the solution?
> Note I have some HD channels which as far as I can tell don't have any
> EPG source in Australia/Canberra at the moment

  My experience in Sydney is you are better off with out it - the
stations are inconsistent.
  At one stage ABC-2 was transmitting 'this service is temporarily
unavailable' and as the EIT scanner received it it replaced the program
info that had been downloaded from the www with this text. Not very
usefull. Missed a recording.
  I've found running it for other channels 'dangerous' if you are
looking for program names - as the EIT data will be different from the
web data and change the program name or you end up with gaps in your
program guide...

  It has the potential to work well, but I get the impression our
broadcasters don't care.
  I'm now using the 'on air guide' only for the HD channels, which I
don't watch anyway - my output is Composite to an old CRT TV monitor.