[mythtv-users] Remote Record Scheduling ??

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 14 02:45:01 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 April 2006 03:12, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2006, at 7:55 PM, Stephen Boddy wrote:
> >>
> >> I do it using SSH port forwarding. Something like this:
> >>
> >> $ ssh -L 80:backend:80 myserver.mydomain
> >
> > Why use the priviledged port and root account?!?
> >
> > just make it 8080:backend:80, and have a second url bookmarked for
> > when you
> > remotely access. (http://localhost:8080/mythweb)
>
> Of course, any browser can do port 8080 (slaps self on forehead).

A browser can connect to any port you tell it to (by changing 8080 in the
url.) 1 all the way thru 65355. You just need a server at the other end to
answer the request, and that server has to adhere to the http protocol.

> That would solve part of the problem, since I'm directing port 80
> traffic to another machine. I didn't want to use a non-standard port
> because the machine at the "library" wouldn't be able to do that,
> don't know why I didn't think of port 8080, just stupidity I guess.

Similarly you can configure the server to be on whatever port you wish. 1 thru
65355. The only thing that can introduce problems (once the config is right)
are firewalls and devices doing NAT. NAT will hide the address of a machine
in a network. Port forwards can fix that. Firewalls will deliberately block
non-standard ports. For that you have to bribe the firewall admin ;-)

> Still wouldn't work form a phone though. I'm thinking more and more
> of the "send myth an email" approach somehow.

I know there are ssh console programs available for the more powerful phones,
so you would be able to connect home. I'm not sure if they can do forwarding,
or even if they have a sense of localhost that you could point the device
browser at.

There are however VPN clients for some of the phones out there. If you can set
this up with your server/phone combo, then the phone is in effect in your
home network, and you would access MythWeb just as you would visit any other
web site on your phones browser.
--
Steve Boddy