[mythtv-users] I Strayed! Now I want to come back, but with caveats

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Apr 14 16:14:41 UTC 2006

On 04/14/2006 12:04 PM, Matt Mousseau wrote:
> Once upon a time, I built and ran a mythTV box. I loved & hated myth,
> mostly for what amounted to things that I simply didn't understand.
> Outlined below are the main concerns I have with returning to myth:
> 2. Resolutions problems with my HDTV. I have a Philips 50" Ambilight
> PDP with a native resolution of 720p. And I had one HELL of a time
> getting X to use the right resolution, it always ran over the edges! I
> think there may have been some sort of overscanning issue, or perhaps
> I just wasn't holding my tongue right while working on it. Either way
> I could use some serious help here, since getting X's resolution right
> is key to getting things to look properly.

That is overscan.  All TV's (digital and analog) are built to use
overscan (even high-def TV's).  So, you have a choice between any two of
1:1 pixel mapping, full resolution, and no overscan.  You can't have all
three.

The other option is to buy a monitor (not a TV) that does /not/ have
overscan.  Although, usually, computer monitors have slightly different
aspect ratio's--such as 1920x1200--so you would get a small amount of
letterboxing.  And, from a cost perspective, this may not be ideal.

Mike