[mythtv-users] What do I have to do to get HD working?

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 14 23:50:19 UTC 2006

>On 4/14/06, Marco Nelissen <marcone at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> >Whoever said that a P4 3.2 is fast enough for HD doesn't know what
>> >they are talking about.  Get an AMD dual core.  I have a 3800 and it
>> >works well (It replaced a Prescott 3.2 that I used before after making
>> >the same mistake that you just made).
>>
>> Processor-envy aside, a dual-core 3800+ is overkill. I'm using an
>> Athlon64 3200+, and it is sufficient for HD, even without XvMC.
>
>same here, but thats not to say I wouldn't like to have a AthlonX2 4200+...
>
>which begs the question... is a AthlonX2 3800+ faster than an Athlon64 3800+?

I'm not too familiar with the AMD architecture, but since the 'X2' is a
dual-core, it should be equivalent to having 2 single-core processors that
share the memory interface. So if you disabled one core, it should be
exactly as fast as the single-core processor, and if what you're running
is multithreaded and not memory-I/O bound, it will benefit from having the
two cores.