[mythtv-users] MythTV channel buffer

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 14 23:57:39 UTC 2006

>Why would you want to use MythTV for viewing LiveTV of you already have
>a TV ?

Because that way I don't have to dig up the other two remotes that would
be involved in watching TV 'directly', plus I wouldn't be able to pause
TV in case I need a bathroom break.

>With a few hundred channels to choose from: with live TV I could be
>zapping the whole evening and not see anything  or keep falling into the
>middle of a show or film.. The whole point of MythTV is you can select
>what you want to see through the EPG let the backend record it and view
>it while you have time, skipping commercial breaks and other unwanted stuff.
>Furthermore MythTV keeps my CD and Recordings/DVD-rip collection, tells
>me the weatherforecast, let me browse the web- and news sites, play
>arcade games all in one.. Now beat that with your 'locked-in' Philips
>HDRW720....

Since you brought up websites: consider "surfing the web"; how would you
like it if EVERY SINGLE LINK you clicked on presented you with a black
screen for 10 seconds before letting you see the webpage? I bet you
would get tired of that pretty quickly.