[mythtv-users] Current wisdom on PVR-150/250/350/500

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Sun Apr 16 05:11:46 UTC 2006

> Support for the MPEG decoder is getting dropped?  This alarms me.  I am
> currently using my 350's S-video output for all the video to my TV.  Is
> this going to quit working?
>
> I don't care if the change is transparent and the net effect is that the
> 350 works the same but uses a different mechanism to provide its
> output... but can you spare a minute to clarify what dropping the MPEG
> decoder support will mean in practical terms?

In practical terms:

Go into the setup and un-check the box labelled "Use PVR-350 MPEG
Decoder". Now watch a recording / TV / etc. If it works fine, all is
well, that is what it will be like if you don't use the MPEG decoder.

If it looks jumpy, jittery, laggy, eats up cpu, and crashes, that's
also what you have to look forward to. Some people get different
results.

 - Jeff