[mythtv-users] Partly OT: Output analog recordings to SPDIF

N Dugas normdugas at yahoo.ca
Sun Apr 16 05:30:20 UTC 2006

Ashley Clark wrote:
> I set up my SPDIF connection using the information at this page:
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound
>
> After using their revised asoundrc I'm using ALSA:digital as my output
> device and I get clear PCM 2.0 sound and 5.1 pass-through.
>
> On Apr 15, 2006, at 11:22 PM, N Dugas wrote:
>
>> I've been playing around with SPDIF and have been able to output HD
>> sound to SPDIF.  When playing back analog video, the sound stutters and
>> sounds like chipmunks.  Googling has not yielded a working solution.
>>
>> My .asoundrc looks like this:
>>
>> pcm.!default {
>>     type plug
>>     slave.pcm dmix-nforce
>> }
>>
>> #my spdif is device 2
>> pcm.nforce-hw {
>>     type hw
>>     card 0
>>     device 2
>> }
>>
>> pcm.dmix-nforce {
>>     type dmix
>>     ipc_key 1234
>>     ipc_perm 0666
>>     slave {
>>        #point the pcm to spdif
>>        pcm "nforce-hw"
>>        channels 2
>>        period_time 0
>>        buffer_time 0
>>        period_size 2048
>>        buffer_size 32768
>>     }
>> }
>>
>> When I select ALSA:dmix-nforce as the device, mythfrontend complains
>> that it cannot open the device.  For now, I have to chose either
>> ALSA:plug:spdif or /dev/dsp.  I'd like to be able to keep it on one
>> setting.  Any ideas?

> Ashley Clark

Actually, I lied.  I had a typo and that's why I was getting the "No sch
file" error.  It's been a long day of trying to get this SPDIF working.
  What I do get when it's set to ALSA:digital is the chipmunk effect.
That's what I'd like to get fixed up.  A little background:
I record from a DCT-6412 over firewire.
HD channels, audio is good
Analog channels, audio sounds like chipmunks

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks