[mythtv-users] Current wisdom on PVR-150/250/350/500

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 03:59:56 UTC 2006

--- Jeff Simpson <jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:

> > No, Mpeg decoding is not the entire reason for
> picking a 350 over the 150.
> > There's also TV-Out, which seems to work fine from
> my limited testing --
> > and that includes fastforwarding.
>
> If you're not using the mpeg decoding, you're not
> getting anything a
> $20 nvidia card won't get you.

<snip>

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you.  The
PVR-350, (granted, in my opinion) has the best
TV-output that I've seen on a PC-based component.  It
has the huge advantage of being able to automatically
de-interlace when playing back interlaced content with
an algorithm that is apparently much better than
MythTV's BOB, and also handles the vertical sync/page
flipping with accurate precision (as opposed to OpenGL
vsync, which is close, but still not perfect).

Now, as I've said before, and I'll say again, if you
have a decent CPU (to use Xv support), and all you
intend to do is watch content, then the PVR-350 is the
best card to get.  For anything else though (though, I
will say, there are some people that don't use
MythGame or MythMusic, etc.), I prefer a GeForce
5200FX.

Of course, with OpenGL making it's way into the SVN
builds, it will require an even faster CPU to make the
PVR-350 to work.

-- Joe