[mythtv-users] PVR-150 Tuner Quality Issues

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 13:31:25 UTC 2006

On 4/17/06, Wander Winkelhorst <w.winkelhorst at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  Anyways, the picture is looking much better now, and the only remaining
> > > problem is of the interference the picture seems to be picking up on some
> > > channels. Wander, you suggested grounding my case, whats the best way to go
> > > about this to ensure its properly grounded?
> >
> > Many surge supresors have a proper ground light indicator that can be
> > used to see if your outlet is grounded,
>
> Oh yeah, I forgot, US != europe. Over here grounded outlets are
> physically different from ungrounded ones, so it is easy to see if it
> is or not. No need for a surge protector to tell you.

same here, two prong for non grounded, three prong for grounded. That
doesn't mean the outlet is actually grounded, just that it can be.
Last I checked people in Europe (well France at least...) are just as
lazy as in the States, I'll assume that applies to electricians as
well. As well, a two prong (non-ground) connector may very well sit in
a metal outlet box that *is* grounded, again, seperate from how the
outlet looks.

> > then its most likely noise from your computer. It could be your
> > powersupply creating the noise, or even a harddrive or fan within your
> > case. If you have a good quality powersupply and still get the noise
> > consider connecting your harddrives and fans to a seperate
> > powersupply.
> >

> Computer power supply units come with a filter. This filter dumps the
> noise on the ground, which is allso connected to the case itself.

unless the noise is being produced by the powersupply.

> This
> can cause interference on components like tv cards and can allso sting
> a little, if you touch the case. Using a seperate power supply for
> fans/HDs probably uses the same ground (because it is in the same
> grounded case!) and therefor doesn't work.

unless the noise is being produced by the powersupply.
Take the harddrive out of the case as well then...

> The only way to get rid of the noise is to properly ground your case.

If your powersupply is grounded then so is your case, running a
seperate ground will not get rid of noise being put on the case unless
your powersupply does not have a metal on metal connection with the
case.

third option. build your case out of wood/plastic.

--
Steve