[mythtv-users] Remote Frontend Hardware

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 18 03:37:29 UTC 2006

On Apr 17, 2006, at 9:26 PM, Matt a mythtv user wrote:

> Joe Votour wrote:
>> --- Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

>>> memory based, system

>>> room.  I would like to

>>> hardware. I know some

>>> the box systems.

>>> If you are talking about SD only you should look
>>> into the MediaMVP.
>>>
>>> The upgrade to 0.19 broke the live TV capability,
>>> but I think that
>>> will get resolved  in the not-too-distant future.
>>>
>>> You can find them on sale for $40 or less, they have
>>> no hard drive
>>> and have an IR remote included.
>>>
>>> It does a great job of playing recordings, as long
>>> as they are
>>> MPEG-2, and who want to watch live TV anyway.
>>>
>>> Sure hard to beat for the $$$.
>>

>> Just out of curiosity, how do you figure that LiveTV
>> is broken in 0.19?  It works perfectly fine for me
>> (using SVN), using both my SD cards (PVR-250 and 350)
>> and my HDTV card (FusionHDTV 5 Lite).  My machine is
>> both a frontend and backend, but I also had success
>> with seperate frontend and backend.
>>
>> -- Joe

> How do i Upload the mythtv software to a dev like that, what linux
> distro do you use?
> -matt

You have to run a DHCP server and a TFTP server, the MVP boots from
the DHCP server and loads its OS and Myth Frontend via TFTP from the
server.

I run the servers on the same machine as my Myth system, but you
could run them from anything you want.

It gets more complicated if the servers and the MVP are not on the
same subnet,but assuming they are it is very easy.

Check out:

http://mvpmc.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=main

For more information.