[mythtv-users] Mythtv 0-19-fixes ebuild?

Daniel A. Segel mythtv at archer-segel.com
Tue Apr 18 13:52:32 UTC 2006

Brett May wrote:
> Can someone send me (or post up) an ebuild for svn 0-19-fixes please?
> I have searched the internet high and low and can't find one anywhere.
>
> If there isn't one how do people on Gentoo using svn build MythTV?

I installed MythTV via portage first to make sure I had all the
dependencies, then I removed it (emerge -C) and used svn to pull down
the source, including myththemes and mythplugins. After that it's a
trivial set of commands to configure, build, and install the svn version.

The only caveat was that emerge -C didn't fully remove all the existing
libraries and myth program files; for example I was left with an old
version of mythcommflag and it took me weeks to figure that out. If you
do an updatedb and 'locate myth' after removing the portage version you
should be able to find anything left over and remove it manually before
compiling and installing the svn version. One other thing - portage
installs it directly under /usr/, but the default install location is
/usr/local/. You can override that when configuring it of course, but I
actually like installing it into /usr/local so I can keep it distinct
from things portage installed. Of course, this probably contributed to
my problems with old versions of the apps laying around, so YMMV.
Anyway, everything works great now. I update from svn about once every
3-4 weeks, or sooner if I see something interesting mentioned in the
-dev or -commits list, but really once you find a version that works for
you it's probably best to keep it at that.

Daniel