[mythtv-users] best mythtv distro?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 18 23:11:49 UTC 2006

On Apr 18, 2006, at 4:58 PM, Timothy Waters wrote:

> What distro do you all think is the best for running MythTV on?
> Yes, I know it's usually not the distro but the geek that makes the
> difference, well, in some cases maybe so, however in others that's
> just rubbish. So, again: what is the best distro for running MythTV
> on? Here is the box it's going to stay running on:
> AMD Athlon 2100XP 1.67Ghz
> 256MB RAM
> 20GB & 80GB HDD
> DVD+/-RW + DL
>

> --
> Timothy Waters
> timothy.waters at gmail.com
> http://www.e-Waters.org
> 205-587-9001

I'll answer that as soon as you tell me what is the best text editor,
what is the best desktop environment, what is the best model
automobile and the best way to cook a steak.

The only way you are going to know the best answer for YOU (because
there is no best answer for everyone) is to try a few and decide what
you are happiest and most comfortable with.

It takes a while, sure, but not only will you get a good answer but
you will learn a lot more about Linux in general and Myth in
particular than you  would form just any one distro.

Hard drives big enough to hold an entire Linux distro and Myth can be
had for $25, pick up a few and play around, it's a great way to learn.