[mythtv-users] Remote Frontend Hardware

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Apr 19 00:08:01 UTC 2006

On Apr 18, 2006, at 5:59 PM, Matt a mythtv user wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:

>>> How do i Upload the mythtv software to a dev like that, what linux
>>> distro do you use?
>>> -matt
>>>

>> You have to run a DHCP server and a TFTP server, the MVP boots from
>> the DHCP server and loads its OS and Myth Frontend via TFTP from the
>> server.
>>
>> I run the servers on the same machine as my Myth system, but you
>> could run them from anything you want.
>>
>> It gets more complicated if the servers and the MVP are not on the
>> same subnet,but assuming they are it is very easy.
>>
>> Check out:
>>
>> http://mvpmc.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=main
>>
>> For more information.
>>
> So it looks like after I make the changes to my dhcp server, I need
> only
> download the dongle.bin.mvpmc bin file and drop in in my tftpboot dir,
> boot my mediamvp unit and it should boot off my tftp server.
>
> Am I missing anything?

Well you have to make sure that your tftp server is running, I would
not advise leaving it running by default.

Also you have to be sure you are exporting the directory you need
from your myth machine. The MVP uses Myth protocol for control but
uses NFS to get the actual file. Your dongle.bin.mvpmc.config file
will specify the server and directory to NFS mount to get what it needs.