[mythtv-users] MythTV not controlling volume with Intel-HDA driver (snd_intel_hda)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 17:40:43 UTC 2006

On 7/31/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 07/30/2006 08:08 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> >   Has anyone else experienced this problem? On a new machine we got
> >for our son we are using the snd_intel_hda driver. What I'm finding so
> >far is that Xine controls volume correctly but  Myth does not.
> >

> xine is probably controlling Master, not PCM or Front.
>
> >   I've chosen PCM audio in the setup, but when I change audio from
> >the keyboard using '[' or ']' volume doesn't change. The GUI shows
> >volume going up and down but the volume itself doesn't change at all.
> >
> >   Watching alsamixer at the same time I see nothing changing when
> >using Myth's volume control. If I adjust the PCM volume in alsamixer I
> >do not get any volume change, but if I change a control in alsamixer
> >called 'Front' then I get the volume I'm looking for.
> >
> >   I'm using /dev/mixer and the mixer controls PCM in Myth's setup. I
> >don't see how to tell Myth to control Front, nor am I clear why I
> >should have to.
> >

> With Myth, you have the option of "Mixer controls Master" and "Mixer
> controls PCM."   If you change your setting to "Mixer controls Master",
> it will probably work for you.  If not, or if you want to control
> anything else, you'll have to use an external program.

Thanks Mike,
   I switched MYth on that machine to 'Mixer controls Master' and now
Myth volume controls the alsamixer control called 'Front'. 'Mixer
controls PCM' does nothing with this driver so I think I'll report
that to the Alsa-devel folks as being different and see if they choose
to look at it.

   I appreciate your help.

cheers,
Mark