[mythtv-users] Backend hardware advice - Power usage - RESULTS

dave johnson DJ4904 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 3 07:48:50 UTC 2006

Re: [mythtv-users] Backend hardware advice - Power usagejust in case anybody was curious, i measured the power usage of the following storage system with the Kill-A-Watt device:

Storage system:
-1GHz PIII System
-512MB Ram
-Intel Desktop Board with integrated video
-Intel Pro1000 Desktop Card ($15 craigslist)
-3Ware 7508-12 PATA RAID controller ($219 ebay)
-11x200GB Seagate 7200.8 PATA HD ($43/ea total after rebate)
-2x250W powersupplies (connect green leads from each ATX connector to have both support auto-on/off.
Mobo+4HDs on one, 5 HDs on the other)
-Openfiler NAS/SAN appliance software (http://openfiler.com)

And at IDLE it pulls a solid 173W.  At full-on disk random IO (turned on playback on two Myth front-ends, as well as ran a "tar cfz /tmp/test.tar.gz /storage" on the box, plus a session of Clone Spy on a mounted windows share, and a "find /" from an NFS client on the same exported share as the Windows share.

Total at this max load hovered between 218W and 228W

For fun I tested my D940 D945GNTLKR desktop and it used 180-210 at idle and 240 with two sessions of winrar trying to compress the C:\WINDOWS directory.  My DFI LAN Party board with X2 3800+ system by same contrast used 110W at idle and 140-150W at full load.  My PII 266 Dell Inspiron Windows domain controller and various other Win utils used an idle 18W and 32W at full load.

So to recap:

Storage system: approx 195W
D950 3.4x2 Intel system: approx 200W
X2 3800+2.2x2 AMD systrem: approx 120W
PII 266Mhz laptop system: approx 25W
Toshiba Tecra 8200 750MHz laptop: 34W

Now I need to grab a Goede system and see what it comes in at but from the looks of it :)

-Úve