[mythtv-users] No sound after upgrade to FC5

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 22:29:45 UTC 2006

Dave wrote:
> Good afternoon, Brad.  Thank you for your response.
>
> Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> Dave wrote:
>>
>>> Good morning, all.
>>>
>>> Been fighting this for weeks, and am at a loss.  Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Mythtv runs fine on Fedora Core 4.  My drive is dying, so I installed a
>>> new drive and installed Fedora Core 5 - all other hardware is unchanged.
>>> Sound on FC5 works fine everywhere except in mythtv and tvtime.  I can
>>> still (dual) boot into either OS - FC4 works great, and FC5 doesn't have
>>> sound.  Video works fine on both OSs. If I use mythtv to record a TV
>>> show and play it on my laptop with mythtv, it works when recorded on
>>> FC4, but there's no sound when recorded on FC5.
>>>
>>> The sound output of my Hauppauge WinTV goes to line-in on my sound card.
>>>   I'm assuming that there's something somewhere that is not set to
>>> capture the line-in from the sound card for mythtv.  "aplay /dev/dsp"
>>> doesn't produce sound (same with dsp0, dsp1, adsp, adsp0 adsp1).
>>>

>> First, check to see if /dev/dsp actually exists. There are some reported
>> issues that /dev/dsp isn't created correctly by udev (I have this
>> problem on one of my FC5 computers). So, the first thing is to check
>> that /dev/dsp is there if you want to use oss.
>>

> It does exist in /dev...
>
> [dave at dave ~]$ ls -la /dev | grep dsp
> crw-rw----  1 root root    14,  12 Aug  6 13:41 adsp
> crw-rw----  1 root root    14,  28 Aug  6 13:41 adsp1
> crw-------  1 dave root    14,   3 Aug  6 13:41 dsp
> crw-------  1 dave root    14,  19 Aug  6 13:41 dsp1
> [dave at dave ~]$
>

>> However, I suggest that you use alsa instead of oss. FC5 comes with alsa
>> as the default.
>> See if you can play a wave file with alsa:
>>
>> # aplay <a_test_file.wav>
>>

> That works fine - I get good audio with aplay <wavefile.wav>  How do I
> choose between alsa and oss?  How do I tell which I'm currently using?
>

>> Another place to look is at your mixer. Make sure that the faders are
>> up. Sometimes the default to all the way off.
>>

> That's an area where I get lost.  When I open volume control, I have
> three devices:
> 0: SiS SI7012 (Alsa Mixer)

I assume this is from an intel onboard audio. Probably is your default.

> 1: Brooktree Bt878 (Alsa Mixer)

I suppose this is from the WinTV card
> 2: C-Media Electronics CMI9738 (OSS Mixer)
>

> There are a lot of settings there (which I've played with a fair
> amount), and it's not clear to me which should be turned up,
> enabled/disabled, speaker & mic mute, etc.

Since you hear with aplay, you could turn all of them down one by one to
see which one is the default.

In any case, the setting at:
Setup>General>Audio
should be set to "ALSA:default" and you'll be set.