[mythtv-users] Weird coloured lines pattern with ATI Radeon 9800SE

jonny Linux jonnylinux at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 19:29:07 UTC 2006

Hi,

Thanks all!

Last year my northbridge fan stopped working (making horrible noises and
causing the computer to freeze), I decided because the computer doesn't get
too hot, I only needed a heatsink to replace the fan.

When I opened the case this morning, I saw the heatsink, the spring of metal
which holds it in and the little bit of metal which holds the spring onto
the motherboard, had all fallen on top of the graphics card. The pattern and
the freezes were caused by the northbridge part of the motherboard
overheating.

This afternoon I secured it using another spring of metal, and the
computer's been working well ever since.

So it looks like I don't need a new graphics card after all!

Thanks,

Jonny