[mythtv-users] Alsa SPDIF SP13000 (via8237)

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Mon Aug 14 01:37:11 UTC 2006

> On 14/08/06, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>> A common problem this week it seems is getting all parts of Mythtv to
>> output via SPDIF!
>>
>> My hardware seems to work OK in that xine setup in passthrough mode is
>> fine and I can use "aplay -D spdif xxx.wav" but I can't find the
>> hardware
>> device that actually outputs to the SPDIF connector. ie. "aplay -D
>> hw:0,0,3 xxx.wav" does nothing. This means I can't map the hardware to a
>> virtual device to set up rate conversion etc.
>>
>> Device 0 has 4 subdevices - tried all of them, nowt...
>> Device 1 has 1 subdevice - no luck there either.
>>
>> It seems that maybe alsa has a bug (I'm using 1.0.11) such that there is
>> no mapping to a hw device for the SPDIF output? Anyone with an Epia
>> SP13000 had any luck?
>
> What's the output of
>
> # aplay -l
>
> One of the devices listed should be the IEC958 playback device, and
> from that you can work out the hardware device (card num, device num).
>
> Nick

As I said, I've tried all the hardware devices - I used aplay -l to find
out what they were. None indicate that they are a IEC958 interface but I
tried them all anyway...

# aplay -l
card 0: V8237 [VIA 8237], device 0: VIA 8237 [VIA 8237]
  Subdevices: 4/4
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 0: V8237 [VIA 8237], device 1: VIA 8237 [VIA 8237]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Checking for IEC958 interfaces using aplay -L shows:

# aplay -L | grep spdif
spdif 'cards.pcm.iec958'
# aplay -L | grep 958
iec958 'cards.pcm.iec958'
spdif 'cards.pcm.iec958'

Doesn't help much does it!!

I was hoping to see something like on my ASUS motherboard which gives:

# aplay -l
card 0: nForce2 [NVidia nForce2], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia nForce2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: nForce2 [NVidia nForce2], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia
nForce2 - IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

which makes a lot more sense!

Guess its down to read kernel alsa code...

--
Robin Gilks