[mythtv-users] mysql database setup help

Jake Sallee spark at breathedeeply.com
Mon Aug 14 19:26:59 UTC 2006

On Monday 14 August 2006 13:30, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 12:07:48PM -0500, Jake Sallee wrote:
> > I need some help setting up the mysql database on SuSE 10.1
> >
> > First off, I think I screwed up the initial configuration and I'm pretty
> > much locked out of mysql.  can someone tell me how to blow away the
> > configuration files so start over?  i've tried removing the mysql
> > packages and reinstalling but that doesn't seem to work.  any help would
> > be appreciated...thank you!
>
> I use Debian, so YMMV.  In order to allow in-place upgrades, removing an
> old mysql server package usually leaves the database behind.  If SuSE is
> using the apt package manager then you would have to use the --purge
> option to tell the uninstaller it's OK to blow away the configuration
> files and database.  If you manually delete the files then the install
> script might get confused.

Thanks for your help.  I ended up blowing everything away and starting over,
which seems to have worked.  Although I'm running into the same problem I did
before:

1.  Start mysqld.  Done.  When I do this, YaST  in SuSE tells me to set the
root password, which I do with these two commands:

mysqladmin -u root password (password)
mysqladmin -u root -h oxidation.breathedeeply.com password (password)

2.  Create the initial database, which I try, and I get nowhere:

prompt:/usr/share/mythtv/database> mysql -u root < mc.sql
bash: mc.sql: No such file or directory

prompt:/usr/share/mythtv/database> mysql < mc.sql
bash: mc.sql: No such file or directory

Jake Sallee  spark at breathedeeply.com
www.breathedeeply.com

Registered Linux User #358012  http://counter.li.org