[mythtv-users] Alsa SPDIF NForce4

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Tue Aug 15 03:56:12 UTC 2006

I wrote earlier today:
> One annoyance I found while watching something with an AC3 soundtrack last
> night was that in one hour, the stream glitched somehow and was interrupted a
> couple or three times.  With my receiver, that translates to a couple of
> seconds of silence as it switches from AC3 to PCM mode and back to AC3 mode.  I
> had the MythTV audio device set to ALSA:default, but I'm going to try again
> with it set to /dev/dsp.  That should go through kernel-space OSS emulation.
> If it plays an hour or two without the receiver doing weird things, I'll
> consider my nForce S/PDIF problems fixed.  If not, I'll just switch back to the
> USB S/PDIF dongle I've been using and forget that I have an onboard output. :-P

I'm using the USB S/PDIF dongle again.  Has anyone else run into occasional
sound dropouts with AC3 or DTS audio played through the S/PDIF output of the
various nForce* chipsets?  It's happened to me with an nForce2 and now with an
nForce4.  It doesn't happen with CMedia-based PCI sound cards, or with the USB
S/PDIF dongle:

http://www.siig.com/product.asp?catid=11&pid=871

   _/_
  / v \ Scott Alfter