[mythtv-users] Reserving an encoder for an external program?

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 20:43:10 UTC 2006

On 8/20/06, chris at cpr.homelinux.net <chris at cpr.homelinux.net> wrote:
> Incidentally, why does the frontend's "Setup | TV Settings |
> Recording Profiles" page have a "(Create new profile group)" option
> when you can only associate the profile with a video source in the
> mythtv-setup program?  I can understand having an editor for
> adjusting the bit-rates in the frontend, but would have expected to
> see the creation and deletion of profile groups in the mythtv-setup
> program.

Because you can, for a scheduled recording, specify a different
profile for recording. So, for example, if you regularly record at
480x480, but you want to record "24" at 720x480 for DVD backup
purposes, you can create a "Recording Profile" of 720x480 and tell
Myth to use that profile when it records "24". Or you could create a
profile at 360x320 for "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" to
transfer to your Video iPod Nightly, or something similar.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston