[mythtv-users] AMD64 and the PVR-350 firmware

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 13:00:29 UTC 2006

On 8/25/06, James Colannino <james at colannino.org> wrote:
> Hey everyone.  I was just wondering whether or not the ivtv drivers will
> work with my PVR-350 under a native 64-bit environment.

I have a myth box running fine on 64 bit gentoo (amd64) for the last 6
months. As others have suggested check the ivtv list as you may
experience DMA problems with cpu scaling. The key word here is may. I
have a dual processor 2.4GHz Opteron 850s and I have not seen a single
dma glitch and I do run powernowd to scale my procs down to 1 GHz at
1.1V when the cpu load is light.

> The reason I
> ask is that I know you can't mix 64-bit and 32-bit libraries and
> executables.
With multilib you can do this in a limited way, but you can not use 32
bit drivers with a 64 bit kernel.

> I'm not sure where that leaves the pre-compiled
> proprietary firmware for the card...  I hope it'll work :)

The firmware executes on the card via the processing units on the card
so it does not need to change for amd64.

John