[mythtv-users] PVR-350 Deciding

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 30 13:27:02 UTC 2006

On 08/30/06 00:08, sarvin wrote:

>On Aug 29, 2006, at 11:00 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>>On 08/29/06 23:52, Trey Thompson wrote:
>>
>>>Is there a way to get the 350 to use its hardware decoder and then go
>>>back out the video card?
>>>
>>Nope.
>>
>If I understand  you correctly the answer is yes; I'm actually doing
>it right now. I use the PVR 350 to capture video

Using the hardware /en/coder.

> and from there I
>have a video card connected to my T.V.

Using the software /de/coder (so the hardware decoder is just unused
hardware).

> If you're going to go this
>direction might as well save a few bucks and just buy a hardware
>capture card like the PVR 250.

Yep.  Especially since decoding SDTV-sized MPEG-2 is negligible effort
for a modern processor.  So, unless you're using a severely-underpowered
CPU, it's not an issue--and a severely-underpowered CPU has many more
downsides than just decoding, the rest of which the PVR-350 won't help
with (actually adds to the hurt).  (Yes, I realize the OP already has a
PVR-350, but this may help someone else through the archives.)

Mike