[mythtv-users] An option for watching tv

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Dec 1 09:53:18 UTC 2006

On Dec 1, 2006, at 12:18 AM, Chad wrote:

> Although, I don't agree with the way this point is ever presented, I
> think this feature would be somewhat useful to exist in MythTV itself
> and not be invoked by an external application.  I also hate to agree
> in this discussion for the simple fact that the OP is being completely
> irrational and blatently rude; but better to discuss the "meat" of
> their request rather than their presentation, or at least that's what
> I hear.
>
> So, here are a few of my reasons for why it seems like a feature that
> would be worthwhile:
> 1.  Scheduling.  Myth's scheduler is superb, and I would like it to
> use all available tuners, including the one that is showing truly
> LiveTV; if I use an external program, Myth doesn't have control over
> that tuner to use it when needed.

So use the regular LiveTV that's currently offered.

> 2.  OSD.  To give MythTV that fully integrated feel, the OSD/options
> and keys (yeah I can always tweak lircrc to each application to keep
> keys the same, but nonetheless, seamless integration would be nicer).
> Having the OSD popup with my MythTV theme and the program info when I
> press "i" would really be some icing on the cake.  If someone were to
> get really fancy, pressing pause or record would bump it over to the
> current LiveTV implementation (but only recording from that point
> onward, not when you started watching); but that's much more of a pipe
> dream than what I would be think truly LiveTV should initially be
> capable of doing.

So use the regular LiveTV that's currently offered.

> 3.  Faster channel changing.  As has been discussed recently until we
> are blue in the face, some people just have slow channel changing for
> whatever reason.  If LiveTV were truly live, this could be something
> the 'channel surfers' would be able to use to have faster channel
> changes.

This will not improve channel changing speed by any noticeable
amount. There is no pre-determined "wait time" while writing to disk.

> and to keep it short, 1 more:
>
> 4.  When I watch spongebob there is no recording, and therefore no
> proof.  :D
>
> Overall, on a scale of things I'd like to eventually see in MythTV,
> it's probably not in the top 5.  But if someone were to code it, it
> may be a feature I'd use, or at least, someone in my household would
> use.
>
> -Chad

Sorry, but I don't think you offered any compelling reason for two
kinds of Live TV. Although, with the new storage group functionality,
feel free to create a RAM disk and assign LiveTV to it. (If you do
this, note if writing to RAM improves your channel change speed.)
Hack the value for when a forced file break happens to within that
RAM disk limit and you've pretty much got what you want.

Hmm... or code exactly what you want it to do, don't break anything
else and submit a patch to trac. :)