[mythtv-users] An option for watching tv

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Fri Dec 1 22:23:14 UTC 2006

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2006, at 9:41 AM, devsk wrote:
>
>>> Maybe you should replace your wife and see if that solves your slow
>>> channel-change issues.
>> that's freaking as rude as it gets....
>
> Maybe someone will set up a poll to see how many people laughed when
> they read that and how many took offense.

If that were a joke, then I didn't catch it.  Perhaps because it was
pointed at *my* wife (or at me, via my wife, at any rate) as opposed to
someone else's, and thus I was a little more sensitive.  "You're Mama"
jokes are funny too, unless someone is really talking about your mother,
if you know what I mean.

I guess the main point is, far too often people on this list don't
realize that just because something is no problem for them, that it
isn't a problem for someone else.  Oh, you'll get the "while I'm sure it
is a problem for some" but then they'll continue on talking down to
whoever brought it up like they were some sort of ignorant feeble minded
scum.  Someone brought up the point that it is always a new user that
brings this up.  I've been using MythTV off and on for almost 2 years.
But I'd bet that the reason you only see new users bringing this up
isn't that they eventually change their ways and quit watching LiveTV,
but instead they just quit using MythTV altogether.  Now, I'm sure some
people might think getting rid of the trouble makers is a good idea, but
in general if you want a better piece of software, you'd best not throw
away any of the negative reports.

Personally, I don't mind the channel changes.  My wife is the one that
hates it.  What bothers me instead, and makes me reply yet again when I
know it is pointless, is how mad the condescending attitude of so many
people here makes me.  People wonder why there is such a problem with
getting Linux on the desktop?  The problem is exactly what you see in
this mailing list.  The support is by other users, and too many other
users have exactly this sort of poor attitude to the new guys or even
the experienced ones who have questions, and they drive people away.
Microsoft might ignore you, but they don't call you an idiot to your face.

Perhaps, if you feel someone is asking for something stupid, or
something that has been asked for a million times, you'd be better off
pointing them to a FAQ or Wiki entry about it, and not saying another
word.  It comes of better than telling them they are idiots, or implying
it, or that they are cheapskates, or whatever.  Do I think it will ever
happen?  Nah, people are people, and someone will always say something
smart-aleck, and someone like me will always take offense to that, and
here we go again.  But it is a nice place to visit in my dreams.

Jeff.

--
I haven't smoked for 3 months, 2 weeks and 17 hours,
saving $480.52 and not smoking 3,203.47 cigarettes.