[mythtv-users] LiveTV channel switching time

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sat Dec 2 07:37:06 UTC 2006

* On Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 10:36:34PM -0800, Bruce Markey wrote:
> strikes. I do weekly backups elsewhere but note in my script
> I take a daily snapshot that gets overwritten each day.

I back mine up daily to independent files so I have the past
7 days of backups.

> With your inuseprograms table and knowledge of which disks and
> encoders are in use, would it be possible to do these tasks
> when the system is quiet?

I believe so.  The housekeeper could do something like this:

void HouseKeeper::RunHouseKeeping(void)
{
    if ((wantToRun("DailyDBTasks", 1, 0, 24)) &&
        (SystemIsIdle()))
    {
        RunExternalDailyDBTasksScript();
        updateLastrun("DailyDBTasks");
    }
}

That way the backup/optimize never actually runs until the system is idle.
With this, it may make sense to include a script that does do the check,
optimize, and backup.  The name could be a setting if the user chose to
use their own, but otherwise we'd use the stock one.  Could probably take
advantage of or extend the perl bindings some for this.

Anything that is recording or in use by some form of playback should be in
the inuseprograms table.  The only notable exceptions that I know of
for this are MythArchive and nuvexport when it's not using mythtranscode.
That makes it easy to check whether we're idle or not.  That covers
the MythTV portion.  We know nothing about plugins, but we probably don't
care either.

--
Chris