[mythtv-users] OT: Advice on c++

Duane Griffin duaneg at dghda.com
Mon Dec 4 19:07:03 UTC 2006

On 30/11/06, alex at apics.co.uk <alex at apics.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
> A very off topic question, but i figured it would be a good place to ask
> the question:
>
> What would be a good book to learn c++?

Depending on background I'd recommend starting with "The C Programming
Language". C is a much, much easier language to learn the C++, and
familiarity with it will help a lot in learning C++. Next would be a
good book on the STL and one that on OO programming that uses C++ as
the example language. Sorry, no good recommendations there. Too long
ago :)

Finally, every C++ programmer should read "Essential C++" and "More
Essential C++", by Meyers. Not only will it help you avoid nasty,
obscure bugs, it will also give insight into some of the more subtle
language design issues that you should be aware of.

Cheers,
Duane.

--
"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan