[mythtv-users] Transcode to MPEG2?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Dec 4 19:13:55 UTC 2006

* On Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 09:39:26AM -0800, casey dunn wrote:
> >  Thanks, I'll look into that.  What puzzles me is why this isn't built
> >into the standard transcoding options.  We already have MPEG4 and RTjpeg
> >but
> >why not MPEG2?  I will definitely check out your suggestion though since

> There seems to be some limitations in the way mythtv was coded and a
> relative lack of interest.  I remember there being some discussion on list
> about it ages ago, someone had done most of the work but it has apparently
> never been finished or integrated.

This might have been me.  I started on this a while back and made quite
a bit of headway, but it became a low priority and fell by the wayside when
I quit using my Hauppauge MediaMVP as an occasional frontend.  The current
incarnation of my patch is nowhere near commit-ready, but I did have it
creating mpeg-ps files with MPEG-2 video and MP3 audio that I could play with
mplayer and xine.  I got hung up trying to get the audio to work on the
MediaMVP with mvpmc and then unapplied the patch from my tree after I quit
using the MediaMVP for other reasons.

I think the only way that a patch like this will be accepted into SVN is
if it uses NuppelVideoRecorder, libavcodec, and libavformat.  We don't want
another recorder class for MPEG-2 software compression.

It's a pretty big patch so far and I'm sure it won't apply cleanly to
current SVN, but I'd be happy to send it to anyone who thinks they want
to work on it more.  I can't guarantee that the nuppel/MPEG-4 side of
NuppelVideoRecorder isn't broken with the current version though, it's
been a while since I worked on the patch.

--
Chris