[mythtv-users] Have you switched from Tivo to MythTV?

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 23:01:12 UTC 2006

On 12/5/06, Mike Dent <mcdent at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> have you moved from a Tivo system to MythTV? If so how are you finding it
> in
> comparison? More importantly how is your significant other finding it!?
> Thanks
> Mike

I moved over almost 3 years ago and there are a few things I liked better on
the Tivo, but the Mythbox definitely makes up for it in other ways.

I do miss how the Tivo grouped shows in the Now playing list (I've thought
about trying to add this but I've never gotten around to making the attempt)
Also you could easily tell whether a show was a repeat or not in the Now
Playing list on the Tivo, but even when you add the proper tags
(%LONGREPEAT%) to the theme it won't show up.  Which is strange, because it
works on most other screens (such as Upcoming and the guide).
I missed the sounds at first, not so much any more.
Tivo would say don't record if it's been recorded in the last 30 days (which
would be good for shows like the simpsons and seinfeld) where I'd like to
record episodes I've recorded before just not recently.

Of course there are plenty of reasons why I've stuck with MythTV for the
past 3 years:

I can change it without Hacking.
There's one central recording list for the whole house
Easy DVD creation
and much more

Of course, I didn't have a SO at the time of the switch.  Right now I think
the GAF is fine, but there was a time during a problem upgrade that I got
the "You think the TV's more important than me" line.  I don't think she
truly grasped the importance of finishing the upgrade.

Fred

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.