[mythtv-users] Have you switched from Tivo to MythTV?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Dec 6 17:36:43 UTC 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 10:12 AM, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> This pretty well matches my memory of the differences, except that I
> bought my Tivo when they first came out and got the lifetime
> subsciption,
> so I didn't have monthly fees for it.  My understanding is that this
> option no longer exists, though.

They will no longer sell you a lifetime deal. You can apparently
transfer an existing lifetime subscription to the new series-3
machine though.

If you try and cancel a monthly subscription through their web site
you will find you can't do so - you have to call them. The first
thing they will do is offer to cut the price in half in order to keep
you as a customer.

So if you want to get rid of an old TiVo (without a lifetime
subscription) you might want to consider taking them up on the "half
price" deal, assuming you want to give/sell it to somebody you trust
enough to pay the $6/month, or want to just give them that as a gift.
There is no time commitment on the continuing deal.

Otherwise a new subscriber will have to pay $12/month with a 1-year
commitment.

The "lifetime" deal stays with the machine, not the subscriber, and
units with such a deal seem to get a good price on E-Bay and the like.

So your lifetime subscription is valuable to somebody, don't throw it
away, and even existing monthly deals are worth more than the
hardware on the open market these days.

But this is a Myth list, not a TiVo one :-)