[mythtv-users] FC6 & IVTV problems?

Bruce Taber b.taber at comcast.net
Fri Dec 8 23:58:14 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 11:34 -0600, Mickey Chandler wrote:
> Since upgrading my backend (running SVN) to FC6, I've had problems
> with the system getting bad grabs of videos and system load spiking
> and eventually locking up completely.
>
> I think that this is probably due to moving to ivtv 0.8.1 because the
> FC5 frontend in the living room is running the same version of SVN
> but it's not having the same problems (except for the inability to
> grab things from the backend when it locks up).
>
> Am I the only one seeing this problem or is this pretty common among
> people who have upgraded from FC5 to FC6?
>
> --
> Mickey Chandler
> My blog: <http://mickc.whizardries.com/>
> Lose Money Fast: <http://www.stock-spam.com/>

I'm not convinced that the problem is restricted to FC6. I have the same
type of problem on the latest (2.6.18-1.2239.fc5) kernel with ivtv
0.8.1. The system has 5 PVR-250s running as primarily a backend. MythTV
is at 20-fixes from atrpms. The system has crashed/locked up
approximately once per week for a few weeks now. When I have been able
to see the fault it's usually spewing i/o page faults. System memory is
at 2G so it shouldn't be strapped for memory. Disk space on the system
partition is 200G available. Hardware problem? Maybe. I'm still in the
midst of trying to capture the failure. Short of that I'll have to
eliminate some of the hardware in the system to see if something
changes.

Bruce