[mythtv-users] capture card for DirecTV

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sat Dec 9 02:50:50 UTC 2006

Quoting Jeremy Tietsort <jr at tietsort.org>:

> Okay, so thanks for the advice on HD and dual core.  It sent me back
> to the drawing board.  Here is where I'm at right now.  Any further
> thoughts?     Thanks....
>
> Video: ASUS EN6200TC GeForce 6200TC 256M
>
> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
>
> Memory: Crucial Ballistix 1GB DDR2 800
>
> Disks: 3 - Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA
> 3.0Gb/s  (thinking RAID 5 and future growth)
>
> Mobo: ABIT KN9 Socket AM2
>
> Capture card: Hauppauge 980 ( WinTV-PVR-250 )

Are you making a FE/BE system, or will this be the BE system and you
will have the FE by the TV?

You might want to consider building a beefy BE system like you have
listed above, then building a smaller, quiet, FE system to put by the
TV.  That type of layout would help "future proof" things for you...

-Rich