[mythtv-users] can't change channel + can't delete live-tv recording

Bart Castelijns bcastelijns at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 10 17:54:38 UTC 2006

I found out what I did wrong. I had set up mythtv to use /dev/dsp. I now set it to /dev/dsp1 and it's working. If I had scanned the output of mythbackend for warnings/errors I'd have solved the thing much earlier. My excuse for not doing this, is that I'm used to error-messages to be printend to the GUI (like in Windows).

Using a debugger I found out that the (software)recorder wasn't paused. The recorder needs to be paused first, before a channel change can occur. For the recorder to pause its necessary for a couple of threads the recorder consists of, to 'pause'. One of those threads is the one taking care of audioinput from the audiodevice set in the setup, in my case /dev/dsp. The thread failed to open /dev/dsp and stopped. It couldn't be paused anymore because it didn't exist. Because this also meant that the recorder couldn't pause, the channel change didn't occur.