[mythtv-users] SMP Performance

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 06:10:09 UTC 2006

On 12/10/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2006, at 1:37 PM, Greg Grotsky wrote:
> I just upgraded my system to a new kernel (2.6.18-1.2239.fc5) and new
> nvidia drivers (9631). kernel deinterlace gives me 105% on mythfronend and
> 25% on xorg. linear deinterlace is the same as it was before. This is the
> reason I ended up upgrade my AMD 64 3200+ system. I was tired of
> trouble-shooting XvMC and OpenGL settings to get something that worked. Now
> it works, just chews up all my CPU. I am using an nVidia 6600-OC card. It's
> PCI-Express. I just kept throwing money at the machine until I could watch
> HD without stuttering. My time was worth more to me than the cash I was
> spending on it. This is also the reason I don't run svn. I get too
> frustrated when things break so I'm using up to date .20 from ATrpms.

Geesus!  It sounds like your system should be kickin'-fast, you should be
able to do picture-in-picture with two 1080i streams!  You really don't need
two cores to do a single HD stream... maybe the problem is FC, but then,
I've always had a distaste for Red Hat.  Have you tried another distro?
That does sound like a lot of money.  What motherboard, what kind of memory,
how fast, how much?  Those items and possibly the OS is really all that
seems to stand in your way to speed.  I'm using a MSI Neo2 Platinum the one
with NForce3 Ultra chipset, I have a gig of micron low latency DDR.

Did you check to see if your using NvAGP?  That could be killing you too.  I
think there are only certain chipsets that support it so check the doc
first.  But to get it working if it's not, put agp=off in your boot string
and put NvAGP=1 in your xorg.conf.  Then when X loads, if possible, you'll
be running with NvAGP.

-Greg