[mythtv-users] Automatic converting HDTV to MPEG2

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 11 22:00:16 UTC 2006

On Dec 11, 2006, at 2:35 PM, Trampas wrote:

> Actually this may just be a straw that broke camel's back.

<snip>

> Come on guys, Myth is free and you get what you pay for. I mean I
> have spend
> over 200 hours trying to get Myth TV installed, yes I even tried the
> "simple" distros like KnoppMyth and MythDora all which had their own
> problems. If I had gone out and got a job at $5 an hour I could have
> purchased a MCE box and actually had something that works. So tell
> me again
> why Myth is so great and easy?

Oh come on now - nobody ever said it was "easy", and I've never heard
anyone here say it was "great" (though some overzealous magazine
writers have said that).

Getting the nVidia drivers to work *should* be fairly
straightforward, and nVidia has support forums for problems related
to their drivers.

Myth is more of a hobby than a commercial product, and it's been my
experience that most problems with Myth have to do with the
dependencies such as IVTV, LIRC, video drivers etc. that Myth needs
to work, and that are not under the control of the Myth developers.

Myth is more of a hobby than a product. Note that the version level
is not even close to 1.0, which should tell you something. Isaac and
the other devs have graciously decided to share their work-in-
progress with us, and I for one am grateful for that. A lot of folks
here spend time trying to help others out, for far less than $5/hour.

If you want commercial-grade support buy a TiVo, or use the software
that comes bundled with the PVR cards, or try MCE. I suspect you will
find that the grass is not all that much greener, but at least there
will be folks who are paid to listen to you :-)