[mythtv-users] Help with hardware questions...M2NPV-VM?

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 03:48:45 UTC 2006

On 12/11/06, Steven Ellis <steven at openmedia.co.nz> wrote:

> On Tue, December 12, 2006 4:25 pm, Michael Tiller wrote:
> > I'm looking at replacing the existing SiS based
> > motherboard + 2.4 GHz P4 combination in my current MythTV system with
> the
> > following:
> >
> > ASUS
> > M2NPV-VM<http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131014
> >Motherboard
> > AMD Athlon 64 X2
> > 3800+<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103733>CPU
> > A 1Gb
> > PC4200<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145525
> >Memory
> > module.
>
> Excelent HW platform. Very simlary to the level we use in myPVR V2. You
> will be doing MPEG2 based HDTV so this setup should be fine. If you were
> looking at H264 HDTV you might want to bump the CPU up as at the moment
> the FFMPEG H264 decodere is a little slow.

Bump up by how much?  I doubt I would make the jump, but I'm just curious.

> My main concern here is with HD playback.  The motherboard seems like a
> > good
> > HTPC motherboard because of the onboard NVidia 6150 (w/DVI connector), 6
> > channel audio, etc.  I would also assume (based on the
> > wiki<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC>)
> > that the processor should be up to the task as well.
>
> Yeah it is quite good, but some XvMC issues on HD Sized frames. Glad to
> see you are going for 1Gb.  We ship with 512 which is fine for SD.

What kinds of XvMC issues?  Also, is XvMC required?  I would not think so.
Ideally I would like a system that will play HD without XvMC.  If I can get
XvMC working well enough, then all the better (more CPU for transcoding and
commercial flagging while I watch).

We used to use the Asus A8N-VM CSM boards which are similar to the FoxCon..
> The nice thing about the M2NPV-VM is it has Component video as well as

That could be an issue.  Good point.

> Finally, I'm assuming I can drop this in and an already installed Ubuntu
> > will still boot up without being upset in the switch from an SiS chipset
> > and
> > Intel CPU?  Or, am I going to need a special AMD64 version of Ubuntu?
>
> No need to go 64bit at the moment. We ship myPVR with a 32bit OS at
> present.

Excellent.  This is an important point.  Thanks.

Steve

--
Mike