[mythtv-users] Cable Quality component DVI HDMI ?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 16:04:33 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2006, at 1:44 AM, Mr. Demeanour wrote:
> > Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> >> I believe component is the analog version of those digital signals
> >> and you would be hard pressed to actually see any difference between
> >> them.
> >
> > I disagree with that.
> >
> > Or rather, it probably depends on your display. I find that DVI is
> > significantly crisper and more accurate than component; I view using a
> > DLP projector, with which it is quite easy to discern individual
> > pixels.
> > With component there is noticeable smudging between adjacent
> > pixels, but
> > with DVI there is almost none. It's obviously much less noticeable
> > when
> > watching moving video than when viewing desktop stuff, but video is
> > also
> > improved by using DVI - at least with my setup.
> >
> > My setup is dual-head (or was, until my LCD panel flaked out). The LCD
> > panel was connected to the component output, and looked fine. But the
> > panel was 1280x1024, 15"; the projector is 1024x576 onto a 2m-diagonal
> > 'screen', and any loss of resolution shows up.
>
> Like I said.. hard pressed. :)

Your source and display electronics will have more influence on the
quality difference between HDMI/DVI and component. HDMI/DVI lend
themselves better to longer runs though, being digital and all. That
said, using our DCT6200 as a test source, I could barely tell the
difference between DVI and component to our 65" 1080p. The component
showed more noise in busy high detail scenes. "Sunrise Earth" looked
the same for both...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!