[mythtv-users] upnp pictures of screens

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 01:15:34 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org> wrote:

> > My suggestion is that if you want to playback high-definition right now,
> you
> > should not use mythtv's upnp server.  Instead, use mythrename.pl and
> stream
>

> While I'm not doubting that you had problems I really don't see how the
> myth upnp  code could affect audio sync. Stuttering or skipping due to
> port performance or something maybe, but not av sync. The way the upnp
> stuff
> works is that the upnp client connects to the server(via httpu) and does
> an HTTP request asking basically "GET FILEXYZ,   BYTES 10000-15000".
> the upnp server then responds with that specific data. It has nothing to
> do with  playback or the audio streams.
>
> Now if you mean you are getting stuttering and such and maybe high CPU
> usage
> on the server side I can think of a few things which might cause that
> (some I
> plan to fix soon in SVN) but the actual playback of the requested data is
> all
> on the client end.
>
> I'm curious on the specs of the machine you were serving the content from
> as I'd like to try and replicate it if possible.

It may be due to the number of buffers used and its size in the myth upnp
code. It may be optimized for SD now but may not be optimal for HD. I know
that you can tweak those numbers in wizd to get a smooth playback. I stream
HD from my mythbox using wizd to LP2 and never had any problem. For LP2, the
best firmware to stick is with Oct 2005 (checkout avsforum for more info or
PM me) to avoid skipping issues etc (eg it ffwd when rewinding).

Thanks
Mudit