[mythtv-users] Cable Quality component DVI HDMI ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Dec 13 03:14:18 UTC 2006

On 12/12/2006 11:04 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> Your source and display electronics will have more influence on the
> quality difference between HDMI/DVI and component.

Definitely.  So, only way to know which is better is to test both /with
your own equipment/ (and your own eyes--as much of the "better" is
subjective rather than objective).

>  HDMI/DVI lend
> themselves better to longer runs though, being digital and all.

I would disagree.  Analog will work better for long runs--but primarily
because of the committee (i.e. "design by committee") that designed
DVI/HDMI cables to use twisted-pair wires rather than coaxial wires even
after the decision to use Serial Digital Interface (SDI) signaling
(which was designed for coaxial cables) was made.

See also http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html
especially the part under the heading "The Role of Cable and Connection
Quality".

Mike