[mythtv-users] Offset all recordings by a few minutes

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Dec 16 14:59:12 UTC 2006

On 12/15/2006 04:51 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:
>> I found that although I had ntp enabled my clock was still off by
>> minutes.  It appeared that my system clock was chasing its own tail.
>> The ntp literature seemed exhaustive but not written for the user.
>>
>> ntpd -q   , run occasionally, seems to work.
>>
> Or, even easier, use ntpdate:
>
> # /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -s time.optusnet.com.au

Or, rather than fixing the symptom, fix the problem...

1) Shut down ntpd on the host that's not working.
2) rm /etc/ntp.drift (or whatever you've specified as your driftfile in
/etc/ntp.conf or where ever you've put your NTP configuration file--i.e.
your drift file may be in /etc/ntp/ or something)
3) rm /etc/adjtime or /var/lib/hwclock/adjtime or wherever you keep it
4) run "ntpdate -b 0.pool.ntp.org" (or use a hostname like
"0.us.pool.ntp.org" to get a server close to your location)
5) run "hwclock --systohc" and make sure you specify the "--utc"
argument if your hwclock should be set to UTC (without adjtime, the
previous default is gone)
6) start ntpd and let the system start over from scratch in its
calculation of system drift
7) see http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Clock.html and, especially, "
2.2 Potential Conflicts" ( http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Clock-2.html#ss2.2 ),
which may explain how your system got "broken" in the first place
(allowing you to fix the /source/ of the problem, as well as fixing the
problem)

Mike