[mythtv-users] How to verify UPnP is running

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Sat Dec 16 21:52:14 UTC 2006

_Short version_  How can I verify (telnet, ???) that UPnP is running
and properly returning lists of media on MythTV?

_Long version_
Server:
-Ubuntu 6.10
-myth .20 from universe repository
-every myth package apart from lirc installed
-libupnp0 installed
-samba installed  (and working)

Client
-XBox
-XBMC 2.0.1 from the "standard place" (not a build I did on my own)

Steps taken:
-set up myth backend
-start up myth frontend on same PC.  Runs fine!
--Record some shows so that I now have a list in recoded shows
-share video dir via samba for "out of mythtv" testing
-verify share is accessible from a windows laptop
-set up SMB share in XBMC.  It works, and lists the 1006_datestamp.mpg
files as it should.  **this verifies network connectivity**
-set up UPNP share in XBMC.  It immediatly returns back "cannot
connect to server"

So obviously this COULD be an XBMC problem.  I want to verify that
UPNP is running on the backend.

I'd heard VLC supports UPNP, but I downloaded the newest version for
windows and couldn't find the way to scan for servers/etc (apparently
it's under the playlist->manage options, but I couldn't find it).

Thanks