[mythtv-users] Beginner DVB-T questions

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 16:10:01 UTC 2006

> (3) How does hardware encoding of digital video work? I hope it is not
> compressed to lossy MPEG2, as the Hauppauge PVR cards do. Can the card
> output some lossless video/audio format that MythTV can store for
> prefect replay, or is special software required to do this?

The broadcast is already encoded.  In the UK SDTV is broadcast as
MPEG2 and there is a trial HDTV signal as H.264.  DVB cards simply
select the appropriate audio and video streams and write them to disk.

> (4) If I have both analog and digital tuners in my box, can MythTV
> abstract away from that, by seeing them as having the same channels? For
> instance, if a show was scheduled for the digital tuner, but a conflict
> arises, can it move it to the analog tuner, or does MythTVv see that as
> two seperate channels, because one is digital or one is analog?

Mythtv is very flexible in handling multiple sources that may contain
some of the same channels.  Search the list for advice on how to
configure it.