[mythtv-users] Sound issues with the pcHDTV 5500 analog tuner

tbaca at heritagewifi.com tbaca at heritagewifi.com
Mon Dec 18 17:01:56 UTC 2006

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:42:54 +0000
From: Robert Longbottom <RobertCL at iname.com>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Sound issues with the pcHDTV 5500 analog
	tuner
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

Jesse Dhillon wrote:
>> To everyone who has successfully configured the analog tuner on one of
>> these  cards, how is your sound? Do you have sound issues at all?
>>
>> For me, I had to apply a patch to cx88_alsa to make the card release
>> the audio  device before changing channels. Otherwise, I could tune to
>> an analog channel,  but then if I tuned to a second analog channel the
>> sound would cut out. But, now  that I have sound, I'm getting a lot of
>> annoying pops in the sound stream, even  though I've raised the quality
>> of the default recording profile quite a bit.
>>
>> Has anyone experienced this before? Is the NTSC tuner in this card
>> simply  unreliable? The video is quite poor too but I've never used an
>> analog tuner either.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jesse.
>>

>I'm not using a pcHDTV tuner, but I am using cx88_alsa with an HVR3000
>card, and I get annoying pops and crackles in the audio when I'm
>watching analog TV.  I posted about it a while ago, but no-one replied.
>I'm in the UK so this is using a PAL tuner.
>
>Any thoughts might help both situations I guess.
>
>Robert.

I have it working and the audio is just fine.  For a long time my audio
was terrible, sounded like an MP3 file at very low compression rates.
On the front end, Utilities/Setup - Setup - TV Settings -
Recording Profiles - Software Encoder (v4l based):

in the Live TV setting, last page, make sure it's not set to MP3 for the
codec. Change to Uncompressed 48000.