[mythtv-users] recording formats - standard cable

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 18 23:29:27 UTC 2006

On Dec 18, 2006, at 2:50 PM, Jon Boehm wrote:

> Brian,
>
> That is a very interesting chart. If I'm reading it correctly, 720x480
> should be recorded at 7.5kBPS-8kBPS for Best quality.

(re: http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/tutorial/bitrate.html )

I agree it's a good chart, but it does make some assumptions that
might not be totally correct for your system.

In particular it is assuming a virtually noise-free video signal
(close to 60 db. IRE-weighted S/N). If you have a noisy picture you
might gain a little bit better reproduction by increasing the bitrate
a little more. It is also assuming NTSC as I'm sure you noticed.