[mythtv-users] hard drive read benchmarks

Jesse Dhillon tobor at berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 19 03:00:35 UTC 2006

Could you guys post some read benchmarks for your drives while
mythfrontend is and is not running, and also if your drive is SATA or
not? Here are mine, on a Western Digital 500GB SATA:

this is the command:
sudo hdparm -Tt /path/to/device

without mythfrontend:
jesse at dionysis:~> sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   2500 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1250.10 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  210 MB in  3.02 seconds =  69.63 MB/sec

with mythfrontend:
/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   328 MB in  2.04 seconds = 161.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   48 MB in  3.14 seconds =  15.28 MB/sec

The reason I am asking is because I am trying to add a second frontend
to a machine that is front and backend combined. Whenever the second
machine is connected, one of them will get choppy video and messages
about ringbuffer taking too long to read, regardless of trying to watch
HD or SD content.

Jesse.