[mythtv-users] MythArchive - wrong/slightly-out aspect ratio on DVD

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Tue Dec 19 09:29:36 UTC 2006

   Revisiting mytharchive for the first tine in a while, I find that most of
the issues I'd previously had & worked around have now been fixed, which is
great.

   However, I'm still stuck with a really odd one, in that my resultant DVD
has a bizarre aspect ratio.  When I play back 16:9 recordings off the DVD, I
lose bits of the left & the right of the picture:  it's somehow stretched.

   No ratio/display changes on the TV fix or work around it, and I've tried
it on 3 players & 2 TVs, so I'm pretty certain it's something off in the disc.

   Oddly, though, playing it through, e.g,. xine, doesn't show the problem;
  I guess it's more forgiving to whatever's 'wrong'.

   One thing I did look at this time which I hadn't before was the window
that xine creates:  it's 768x480 [xdpyinfo] (which is a 1.6 ratio, as
opposed to 16:9's 1.7777 or 4:3's 1.3333).  Which is even more odd, as
unless I'm wrong that would make it *squashed* not stretched.

   I did a dummy create of 15s' worth and I can't find anything obviuosly
wrong except:

STAT: Processing /usr/share/mythtv/mytharchive/intro/pal_mythlogo_intro.mpg...
WARN: attempt to update aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3; skipping

   [mythcenter theme;  guess I could try another]

   All other data seem OK:

(e.g.)
STAT: Processing /usr/data/burn/mytharchive/work/1/final.mpg...
STAT: VOBU 16 at 2MB, 1 PGCS STAT: VOBU 32 at 5MB, 1 PGCS STAT: VOBU 48 at
9MB, 1 PGCS
INFO: Video pts = 0.120 .. 23.440
INFO: Audio[8] pts = 0.120 .. 22.968
STAT: VOBU 54 at 10MB, 1 PGCS
INFO: Generating VTS with the following video attributes:
INFO: MPEG version: mpeg2
INFO: TV standard: pal
INFO: Aspect ratio: 16:9
INFO: Resolution: 720x576
INFO: Audio ch 0 format: mp2/2ch, 48khz 20bps

   I find "720x576" throughout.

   I'm not sure where next to look.

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature